Saturday, April 16, 2011

Farewell Party

Tonight, the night of April 12th, 2011, many tears were shed and numerous hugs passed on. This evening marked the last night of the Darien High School student’s home stay portion of the exchange. The night started out with an introduction stated by Li Hao and a speech given by Sally to kick-off the event. Cheery followed with a note that personally addressed each and every American student; at this point, it had finally hit me that we were leaving Qingdao in less than 24 hours. I also realized how much of a connection everyone had made during their time here in such a big and beautiful city. The individual comments shared with each of the American students revealed just how well Cheery grew to know us all. With 15 students and 15 hosts, there was some challenge in creating bonds with the Chinese students; yet, somehow we managed to befriend one another within ten days. About half of the student hosts were first year students and half, second year students; because the second year students had already visited Darien, we knew some of them. However, during their 9-day stay in Darien I did not feel there was enough opportunity to form lasting friendships. Luckily, these past twelve days have provided a chance for me to mix and mingle with all fifteen host students and more. I will never forget this experience and all of the friendships I have made. The night ended with constant flashing coming from fifty different cameras. I made sure to capture photos of all the Chinese hosts, my new friends.
The sights in Qingdao took my breath away, with mountains surrounding three sides and a gorgeous coast on the fourth. My host family has provided me with a second home and made me feel welcome from the moment I stepped through the door. Patrick, my host sister, called herself “your trusty tour guide.” Starting on day one, Patrick taught me all about Chinese culture. Despite my initial thoughts about Chinese people, they surprised me by acting warm and welcoming. Everyone should seize any opportunity for exchange if it ever comes up in their lifetime. I feel so grateful to have had such an amazing experience.

Thanks,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment